People Who Perform - The Real Estate Careers Podcast
Doug Allan | A Fighting Chance
February 28, 2021
Richard Costello connects with Doug Allan.
Doug is Vice President of Finance and Operations with Burrard Properties, a private family company founded in 1979 and is tasked with managing project debt and equity capital. Prior to working in commercial real estate, Doug spent over eight years in public accounting with EY.
Doug has a BComm from McGill University and is a Chartered Professional Accountant.
Doug is also the author of a new book called A Fighting Chance: The High School Finance and Education Everyone Deserves.
In this episode we discuss the following:
- Influences and reasons behind the decision to pursue accounting as a career.
- Lessons learned from working in public practice.
- How Doug went from EY to Burrard Properties and a run through of his current role.
- What makes Burrard Properties stand out.
- Why Seattle is such an attractive market.
- Challenges developers face building condos in Seattle.
- We discuss Doug's book, A Fighting Chance including the key lessons to take away.
- Fantasy dinner party!