People Who Perform - The Real Estate Careers Podcast
Liz Firer-Gillespie | Asset Management & The Value of Different Perspectives
April 08, 2022
Richard Costello connects with Liz Firer-Gillespie.
Liz is a Director of Asset Management, with Nicola Wealth Real Estate, a leading investment firm with over $7bn in real estate assets under management. Liz oversees a diverse portfolio of properties in both Canada and the U.S. Liz holds an undergraduate degree from the University of Iowa and an MBA from UBC’s Sauder School of Business.
In this episode we discuss the following:
- Early years and how/why Liz came to enter the real estate industry.
- Career evolution in the US.
- What is was like to work in Chicago and the people who made an impact.
- Drawing inspiration from working in property management in Liz’s current role.
- Moving to Vancouver and repositioning for a career in asset management.
- More about Nicola Wealth Real Estate and how Liz has grown with the business.
- What makes Nicola Wealth Real Estate so successful.
- What it means to work in asset management at Nicola Wealth Real Estate.
- Maintaining culture during a phase of rapid growth.
- Developing and honing a leadership style.
- Liz’s involvement in Vancouver CREW’s mentorship program.
- Proudest achievements so far.
- What excites Liz about the future at work.
- Advice for anyone looking to become an asset manager.